Centennial College’s Police Foundations program is geared towards those who have an interest in police, security and investigation-related occupations in both the public and private sectors.
|Full-time Duration:||2 years|
|Starting in:||January, September|
|Location:||Pickering, Canada / Online|
In this joint diploma program, you spend two years taking Police Foundations courses in the School of Community and Health Studies that cover:
- Current laws
- Investigative techniques
- Conflict resolution techniques
- Criminal proceedings
- Community policing principles
The time you spend in the Police Foundations courses results in the ability to communicate efficiently, act as a problem-solver, work effectively in teams and help people in the community.
- The Police Foundations program consists of intense training, equivalent to that of a paramilitary environment, which helps you to develop discipline and deportment.
- Courses are based on real-life experiences and case studies that incorporate a fundamental perspective on life.
Once you complete your Police Foundations courses, you will be able to:
- Document, prepare and assist in the presentation of court cases in compliance with criminal and provincial law, rules of evidence and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
- Assess the use of police powers.
- Initiate, promote and facilitate partnerships to meet community policing and security needs.
- Assess the relationship of policing services to other participants in the criminal justice system and other community service agencies.
- Make sound decisions based on an evaluation of situations.
- Cope with stress and optimize physical fitness and wellness.
- Apply fundamental concepts of political science, law and legislative policy making and public administration to the provision of police services.
- Assess information-gathering skills used in basic investigative techniques.
- Assess crisis intervention strategies.
- Develop strategies to assist victims of crime.
“A good opportunity to be a member of the research team to conduct research for reputed institutions like University of Toronto and Centennial College. Gained a lot a new knowledge and hands-on experience in conducting research. Learned sampling techniques and different data analysis methods.”
Sushil Anu // Performance of Existing Oil-Grit Separators (Stormceptor) and Development a New Generation of Urban Sediment-Contaminant Separators