Biotechnology – Advanced (Fast-Track)
Centennial College’s Biotechnology – Advanced (Fast-Track) program sees qualified college or university graduates gain direct admission into year two (semester three) of a three-year Biotechnology program, and receive their technologist advanced diploma in two years (four semesters).
|Full-time Duration:||2 years|
|Starting in:||January, May, September|
|Location:||Blended (Toronto, Canada & Online)|
In the Biotechnology – Advanced (Fast-Track) program’s courses, you learn the scientific principles, techniques and skills needed to work in industrial microbiology and chemistry. Specialized study in biotechnology applications, biochemistry, microbial genetics and clinical and environmental microbiology is also included.
At Centennial College, you’ll learn the theory and technical practice needed to succeed in the field, combined with many opportunities for you to enhance your experience. Additionally, project work, in consultation with faculty, helps you to further develop your skills in research, laboratory techniques, report writing and presentation.
You learn to:
- Perfect your aseptic techniques.
- Isolate, enumerate and identify microorganisms from many types of samples (the human body, water, soil, air, food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic products).
- Accurately calibrate and use a range of instruments such as pH and BOD meters, gas chromatographs, spectrophotometers (regular/IR/UV), HPLCs, centrifuges, PCR thermocyclers and gel electrophoresis equipment.
- Prepare microbiological media and reagents.
- Culture pathogenic microbes.
- Design and perform advanced microbiology and microbial genetics experiments.
- Use microorganisms to assay pharmaceutical products.
“A good opportunity to be a member of the research team to conduct research for reputed institutions like University of Toronto and Centennial College. Gained a lot a new knowledge and hands-on experience in conducting research. Learned sampling techniques and different data analysis methods.”
Sushil Anu // Performance of Existing Oil-Grit Separators (Stormceptor) and Development a New Generation of Urban Sediment-Contaminant Separators
- Quality control technologist
- Production and research scientist
- Research Associate
- Analytical chemist/microbiologist
- Laboratory technologist
- Quality assurance technologist