Centennial College’s Biotechnology (Fast-Track) program was created for qualified college or university graduates who wish to receive their diploma in one year (two semesters). Gaining direct admission into the second year (third semester) of the two-year Biotechnology program, you are trained to work as a laboratory technician in the food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries.
|Full-time Duration:||1 year|
|Starting in:||January, May, September|
|Location:||Blended (Toronto, Canada & Online)|
This Biotechnology (Fast-Track) program at Centennial College offers detailed practical training in microbiology and chemistry (analytical, organic and biochemistry). Laboratory techniques including aseptic technique and appropriate safety procedures are extensively highlighted. A special feature of this diploma program is its project-focused approach, with independently designed microbiology projects that enhance your problem-solving and research skills.
You learn to:
- Isolate, enumerate and identify microorganisms from many types of samples (water, soil, air, the human body, food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic products).
- Prepare specimens for staining, becoming an expert light-microscopist.
- Become proficient in aseptic handling of materials.
- Accurately calibrate and use a range of instruments such as pH and BOD meters, gas chromatographs, spectrophotometers (regular/IR/UV) and HPLCs.
- Prepare microbiological media and reagents, and culture pathogenic microbes.
- Design and perform your own microbiology experiments.
- Use microorganisms to assay pharmaceutical products.
You’ll have the option of graduating as a biotechnician in one year or continuing for a second year to study specialized topics such as microbial genetics, systematic microbiology and environmental microbiology to graduate with an Advanced Biotechnology diploma.
“A good opportunity to be a member of the research team to conduct research for reputed institutions like University of Toronto and Centennial College. Gained a lot a new knowledge and hands-on experience in conducting research. Learned sampling techniques and different data analysis methods.”
Sushil Anu // Performance of Existing Oil-Grit Separators (Stormceptor) and Development a New Generation of Urban Sediment-Contaminant Separators
- Quality assurance technician
- Microbiology lab technician
- Chemist – calibration
- Sterile specialist
- Analytical chemist/microbiologist
- Microbiology lab analyst
- QC raw material analyst